LAS VEGAS, and SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Dec. 7, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Use-of-force complaints fell dramatically at the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) after the agency deployed Axon (Nasdaq: AAXN) body-worn cameras, a recent independent study revealed. The study, conducted by the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV), and CNA, a non-profit research and analysis organization, also found that the implementation of body cameras resulted in a decrease in police misconduct. The full study can be found here: https://www.cna.org/cna_files/pdf/IRM-2017-U-016112-Final.pdf.
The year-long study, funded by the U.S. Department of Justice, began in 2014 and concluded in 2015. The study evaluated 416 officers, 218 of whom donned Axon body cameras. Researchers unveiled the following significant findings:
- A 37% reduction in use-of-force complaints against officers wearing body-worn cameras
- A 4% increase in use-of-force complaints against officers not wearing body-worn cameras
- An 8% increase in citations issued by officers wearing body-worn cameras
- A 6% increase in arrests made by officers wearing body-worn cameras
Researchers also performed a cost-benefit analysis and found that body-worn cameras could ultimately save LVMPD up to $4 million per year in legal fees.
"The results of this study by UNLV validate what we have been seeing all along – the body-worn camera has taken an out-of-focus picture and made it clear," says Clark County, Nevada Sheriff Joseph Lombardo. "While some officers initially feared the devices would be intrusive, many now embrace the technology because video can prove or disprove accounts by arrestees and witnesses."
"We're thrilled that body cameras continue to be studied and that researchers are discovering positive effects for both the public and police officers," says Axon CEO and founder Rick Smith. "The cost benefits brought to light in this study have a tremendous impact on agencies and the communities they serve. Saving money on legal fees ultimately leads to more officers being on the street. Benefits like these are exactly why we are working so hard to develop the next generation of police technology."
To date, LVMPD has purchased about 2,000 Axon body-worn cameras, which upload video to Axon's cloud-based digital evidence management solution, Evidence.com. The Axon network integrates hardware and software to make it easy for agencies to manage the high volumes of officer video that is generated daily.
The Axon network is a network of devices, apps and people that helps law enforcement become smarter and safer. Our mission is to protect life. Our technologies give law enforcement the confidence, focus, and time they need to keep their communities safe. Our products impact every aspect of an officer's day-to-day experience:
- In the field - Our Smart Weapons offer a less-lethal intermediate use of force response and our body-worn and in-car cameras collect video evidence to capture the truth of an incident; and our mobile applications enable simple evidence collection.
- At the station - Our secure, cloud-based digital evidence management solution allows officers and command staff to manage, review, share, and process digital evidence using forensic, redaction, transcription, and other tools.
- In the courtroom - Our solutions for prosecutors make collaborating across jurisdictions and agencies easy so that cases can be resolved quickly.
We work hard for those who put themselves in harm's way for all of us. To date, there are more than 187,400 licensed users from around the world and more than 192,000 lives and countless dollars have been saved with the Axon network of devices, apps and people. Learn more at www.axon.com or by calling (800) 978-2737.
Axon, the "Axon Delta" logo, Axon network, Smart Weapons, Evidence.com, and 'Protect Life' are trademarks of Axon Enterprise, Inc., some of which are registered in the U.S. and other countries. For more information, visit www.axon.com/legal. All rights reserved.
Follow Axon here:
- Axon on Twitter: https://twitter.com/axon_us
- Axon on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Axon.ProtectLife/
Note to Investors
Please visit http://investor.axon.com, https://www.axon.com/press, www.twitter.com/axon_us and https://www.facebook.com/Axon.ProtectLife/ where Axon discloses information about the company, its financial information, and its business.
Visit our Investor Relations Safe Harbor Statement at: http://investor.axon.com/safeHarbor.cfm
For investor relations information please contact Andrea James via email at IR@axon.com.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/more-body-worn-cameras-less-use-of-force-study-reveals-compelling-correlation-300568324.html